Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Let It Snow

We're under a winter storm warning here in Toronto. The snow is finally said to be on its way and should arrive within the next few hours. By morning, depending on who you listen to, we should have between 2 and 12 cm of the white, fluffy stuff on the ground. Followed by warming temperatures that will turn the snow into rain and probably do away with any accumulation on the ground. Then we'll just have to wait and see if it all freezes. Of course, you know what that means - the morning rush hour will be a madhouse, because for some reason, everyone forgets that we just went through this all a mere 6 months ago and they act like they don't know to drive in wet, frozen weather any more. The police are already suggesting people should leave an extra hour earlier in the morning to get to work, can you imagine??

I'm hoping the snow will put me in the Christmas mood, because so far, I'm not really feeling it. My day started with my cleaning lady being half an hour late, which means she arrived at the same time as I was meant to be getting to my own job. She did not apologize, but instead, very righteously informed me that it wasn't her that was late, it was the BUS.

After work, I went to the post office to mail gifts to my brother's family in Alberta. I was told that one small envelope, containing a single DVD, would cost $14.00 to send, because it wouldn't fit through that little plastic letter box slot simulator they've got. Never mind that the package was being sent to a post office box and would never have to actually be inserted through one of those thin slots, a rule is a rule. Needless to say, I took the package back and shall be re-wrapping it in a plain, unpadded envelope and taking it back to the post office, where I'm told I shall be able to mail it for a mere $1.96.

I just don't have the energy to do it right now. Instead, I'm going to put my jammies on and curl up with a good book before calling it an early night. Maybe we'll get so much snow overnight that I'll need to stay inside tomorrow and hibernate for an indefinite period...

2 comments:

The bad Liz said...

Let's hope it hits as hard as it does me in Detroit. No snow - just rain. I've been reading through your blog and realized that you look familiar because were in class in Milwaukee - Marcia's class.

Keeping fingers crossing for minimal weather for you!

Cynthia of Cynful Creations said...

Hey, Liz, thanks for stopping by! We got several inches of snow followed by rain, so everything is very wet and slushy at the moment. Not looking forward to the ice that will result when the temp drops overnight!