Saturday, December 5, 2009

Back to B.O.C.

I finally made it back to Beads of Colour in Dundas today, which I have been meaning to do since my first visit to this lovely bead store with my friend Heather back in August (see post of August 19th - http://cynfulcreationscanada.blogspot.com/2009/08/beads-of-colour.html).

Since then, I have met the owner of the store, Debi Keir-Nicholson, although I had to go all the way to Tucson to do it! She also attended Kate McKinnon's PMC workshop in November, so today's visit was planned so I could return a vest to her that she had left behind in Tucson and we could do lunch. Which we did, at a lovely little tea shoppe called Taylor's Tea Room. The food was delish and I brought back a scone with me which comes highly recommended, along with some peach jam and real Devon cream to go with it, which I am planning to savour while I watch Coronation Street tomorrow morning to get the authentic British scone experience!

We then took a stroll along King Street in Dundas. Lots of beautiful old buildings and storefronts, I had to keep asking Debi to stop so I could take another photo. I loved this old post office building, which is actually for sale, if you can imagine! (I bought a lottery ticket on my way home, just in case). Wouldn't you love to own a building that has a clock tower? I don't know why but for some reason, I believe I would.

Check out these three storey buildings. Dundas must have been a prosperous town back in the day when these main street structures were built, as 3 floors seems quite a lot for that time period. Debi took me inside one of the stores in this section, Heirlooms, which is currently a bridal shoppe but used to be the hardware store. It still has all the old wood inside, including the counter and beautiful wide planked wooden floors. Even the ladder that they used to use to climb up onto the shelves to find some piece of merchandise. There is also a beautiful wooden staircase at the back of the shop. A lot of the wood is painted a baby pink now, which is rather a shame but at least it looks pretty with all the wedding gowns. Sadly, I didn't take any photos inside - I know, what was I thinking? Or not thinking, in this case! Next time.

After checking out a few more stores, including the thrift shop (where I picked up several old books to use for art projects in the near future and Debi got a little electronic piano toy for her grandson), we then strolled back to Beads of Colour, to spend some time chatting with Chris, who works with Debi and where, as you can see, I did remember to take some photos inside the store.

All in all, it was a lovely afternoon! Thank you, ladies!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I hope you win and buy your building. It's so you!

Sharon