Friday, May 15, 2009

Shopping at Lacy's

If you're into jewellery making and you've never been to Lacy & Co. at 55 Queen Street East in Toronto, you really ought to check it out. It's downstairs in this rather non-descript office building and doesn't look like anything fancy but it's filled with all of the necessary tools and equipment for making any type of jewellery.

The first time I went there was about 3 years ago. I had a supply list for a chain making class I had signed up for, and needed to buy a jewellery saw. (Turns out the first thing we learned was how to make our own jump rings, which was pretty satisfying but I'm still glad to know I can always buy them ready made!!)

When I went to Lacy's that time, I had no idea what all the stuff was that they had on display. This time, I was pleased to realize that I could identify a lot of the contents of their store and had at least a vague idea of what most of the items were for. Several of them are on my "some day when I have my own studio and/or win the lottery" list. I've definitely learned a lot over the past few years!

I only spent about 10 minutes there today and less than $50. I am amazed at my self-control. If it weren't for the fact that I'm saving myself for the Bead & Button show in two weeks, I could have been seriously tempted. There were several other things I coveted there but I was able to restrain myself (mostly because my back could barely handle the weight of the anvil, let alone anything else!)


As it is, I came home with an anvil, screw clamp and bench pin combination item, a beginner set of metal files (only $6.95 vs. the expert set which was $49.95!!), a bead awl and some new saw blades for that saw I bought 3 years ago.

If you want to go to Lacy's, keep in mind they aren't open weekends and they close at 5:30 during the week. But it's definitely worth the trip and if their hours don't suit your schedule, you can always check out their website and shop online. http://www.lacytools.ca/

As for me, that tumbler purchase will just have to wait until my next visit! Unless I win tomorrow's $40 million jackpot, in which case, I'll be back in the store on Tuesday morning!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you win the 40 million my Friend.