Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Packing for Milwaukee

I'm starting to get ready for my trip (only 4 more sleeps!) For me, the getting ready process always begins with a series of lists - what to take, what needs to be done before I go, what I need to buy.

It's hard to know how to pack for something that you've never done before, especially when you are limited by the number of suitcases you can bring on the plane and the fact that they can't weigh over 23 kgs without incurring a hefty fee.

The good news is, the teachers provide supply lists and a lot of required items are common to each class as a result of the choices I made. Like the pliers - chainnose and roundnose are the most common. I deliberately didn't choose certain classes because I didn't have the supplies they required or didn't want to haul them on the plane, such as the lampworking classes which require you to bring a bunch of heavy tools and your own mandrells. That would be a bit of an investment for me, as I'm used to the studio at Beadfx supplying all these items for me.

What they don't tell you is what to wear - do I need to take several changes of clothes in case certain techniques are messier than others? If it's just beadweaving, there's not much danger of getting dirty but in the metalworking classes, if we're soldering something or sanding stuff, it's bound to get a little untidy. I have my handy dandy apron from the Haliburton School of Fine Arts, I shall be sure to take that with me.

I also have a bunch of things I need to do before I leave - laundry, pay rent for June, make arrangements with the cat sitter, pick up some American money at the bank, make sure the garbage is emptied and set the VCR to tape Coronation Street while I'm away. I've been working on getting a few things done each day this week so I don't have to do it all in one day at the last minute. Some people are good with that - me, not so much!

At least my lists will make it easier for me on Friday night as the clock ticks down and the hour draws late. We have to be at the airport around 7 a.m. on Saturday morning, so I'll need to get to bed at a reasonable time.
Okay, gotta go, things to do!!

No comments: