Friday, April 30, 2010

Where Did April Go???

Can it possibly be the end of another month? I simply can't believe it. Zoom.

Did you get your taxes filed yet? Midnight tonight, that's the deadline. I filed mine early when I thought I was getting a refund, only to be rather surprised when I got an invoice from the government asking me to send them a cheque. Oops, it seems I had read the form incorrectly when I filled it out online and I owed them money, instead of the other way around. Less than $100, not the end of the world, but I was kind of bummed out about it, until I heard someone on TV saying that if you're getting a big refund, that's a bad thing. It means the government has had more of your money than they needed to get, they have had it to use all year and you didn't. It's like giving them an interest free loan, when you could have been spending that money or actually earning interest on it. Suddenly, I didn't feel so bad about writing that cheque.

And how about this dry April? We're breaking records for the least amount of rainfall. According to today's news reports, we've had 50% less rain than normal for this month. It's the driest April since 1881, and the second driest since they first started to write this stuff down. Depending on what part of Toronto you're talking about (they keep records for the weather at the airport as well as downtown), it is also the driest April we've ever had in recorded history. Amazing. Not sure what that means for those May flowers we're looking forward too, guess we'll just have to wait and see. So far, it doesn't seem to have hurt the daffodils or the dandelions - they've been springing up everywhere!

No comments: