Monday, April 19, 2010

Remembering My Dad

It's the fifth anniversary of my dad's death today. For the first time, I didn't feel the need to take the day off work. I was feeling some dread about the day back in March but that feeling went away as the date drew closer. Maybe it's because of my uncle's recent death, having spent all last week in the midst of grief, maybe it's the passing of time, maybe it's something else. I still miss him like crazy and probably always will but today was a good day, a happy day, at times even a fun day and I'm grateful for that.

I found this photo last week when I was looking for pictures of my uncle to send to my cousins for a DVD they were putting together to play on the TV at the funeral home. My mom and dad and sister and I were on a trip out West, driving from Calgary to Vancouver for the wedding of a family friend. One of the places we stayed at was a bed and breakfast in Revelstoke, BC that had horses available to ride. At least, I think that's where this photo was taken. Anyway, it's a great picture of my dad looking happy and like he was having fun. He didn't get up on a horse too often but always seemed to enjoy it when he did.

1 comment:

kate mckinnon said...

He looks like a sweet guy.
I know how it hurts, even when it hurts a bit less that hurts too. I passed the fifth anniversary of my mother's death this spring; I lost my dad almost ten years ago. Hard to imagine that they would both be gone so young.