Sunday, April 25, 2010

Pyjama Day

Ever have one of those days when you don't have anything planned and you just want to stay in your pyjamas all day? Today was one of those days for me.

I'm working on a special journaling project this week and I had a great day yesterday starting to put the pieces together. I had bought myself a new printer earlier in the week (the one I had was only good for scanning these days) and I set it up in the morning, then spent the rest of the day downloading and organizing photos and printing them out. What a treat it was to have a working printer again!

Alas, my joy was short-lived. This morning, the printer didn't want to print. Maybe it was worn out from everything I put it through yesterday, I'm not sure. So when it wouldn't work this morning, I left it alone while I went to watch Coronation Street.

When it still wouldn't work midday, I kept busy doing other things. Puttering around, sorting some stuff, watching a bit more TV (because really, what else can you do on a rainy, slightly chilly Sunday in April?). I also spent more time than I'd care to admit looking for something I later found hiding in plain sight - man, don't you hate when that happens?

About 5 p.m., I decided I'd go give the printer some more attention. After an hour and a half of trying to reconfigure everything, restarting my computer a couple of times, putting the software CD back into the computer and running various diagnostic checks, I figured I'd just try the old standby - unplug the damn thing and plug it again. Wouldn't you know it? That worked! Out spit the one inch square little paragraph I'd been trying to print all day!

Maybe if I'd gotten out of my pyjamas today, things might have run a little more smoothly or I might have been more productive. But you know what? Sometimes, you just need that little bit of downtime to recharge or reconfigure. Maybe my printer was feeling the same way.

No comments: