Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Riverside Cemetery


I have developed a habit of visiting different cemeteries on the anniversary of my dad's death and yesterday was no exception. I went to Riverside Cemetery, which is located just south of Dixon and Royal York in Etobicoke. It may seem a bit morbid but it really wasn't that kind of a visit - it was a beautiful spring evening, the sun was shining, the trees were beginning to show a lovely green hue and the birds were singing, singing, singing. I was the only person there and just strolled around the grounds, looking at the beautiful markers.




This was the oldest stone I found. It amazes me to think that if this person was buried in 1838 at the age of 73 years, that means they were born in 1765. That's one of the things I love about cemeteries, they always make you feel young! :)


This was the only headstone with a statue. It reminded me of the sort of thing you find in cemeteries in Europe.

Just as I was leaving, I found this marker with my dad's name on it:



The funny thing is, it was side by side with one for "Ronnie" which is my dad's brother's name - well, his name was Ronald and to my knowledge, no one ever called him "Ronnie", it was always "Ron" but still, on a day when I was thinking of them both, it seemed rather appropriate to find these stones.




No comments: