Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Keeping Busy and Getting Tidy

They say that when you are grieving, you should keep busy. So far, that philosophy seems to be helping me. I took yesterday off from work and did some laundry, organized a couple of closets, unpacked some boxes that have been sitting around since December when I moved, parcelled up some stuff for Goodwill, went grocery shopping.

It didn't make me feel less sad, I know I need to feel the pain, mourn my loss and pass through it, which will happen given time, but it did help clear up some of the ongoing clutter in my brain, by finally cleaning up a few areas of my home that had been bothering me on a subconscious level for quite a while. Every time I walked into that tidy closet today, it felt like such a relief. The floor is clear, everything is stacked on the shelf or hung on a hanger where it belongs, I can find what I am looking for easily. Instead of a jumble of chaos, it has become my closet of calm.

My friend Stephanie recently told me about a website called Flylady that helps busy people deal with cleaning and clutter. I checked it out and have found it be very helpful so far. The best part is how they tell you to do things in 15 minutes intervals. Keep it short and sweet and things get done. You set your timer and when it goes off, you're done, you walk away. I'm amazed at how much can get done in such a short period of time! If you think this might be helpful to you, here's the link: http://www.flylady.net/index.asp

Not sure how long the urge to purge will last, but I'm taking advantage of it while it's here!

No comments: