Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Just A Little Thing

It has been one of those days where nothing seems to have turned out the way it was supposed to or to have a positive result in spite of my best intentions. Some work had to be redone and other things couldn't get finished and the remains of a missing girl were found (which is good because it will be some comfort to the family but sad because we can no longer hope there was some mistake and really she is alive and well somewhere) and it was raining when I left work today, in spite of forecasts all day long that claimed it wouldn't happen, and of course, I was wearing sandals and my feet got all soggy, and traffic was all snarly as a result, and I have to go back out to a memorial service for a teenage boy who died too young, which will no doubt be incredibly sad and depressing. All of which combine to make me feel rather cranky overall and the world doesn't seem like such a special place to be at the moment.

So instead of dwelling on all of today's negative aspects, I will tell you about one small, simple thing that brought me a lot of pleasure today.

I bought this key fob or zipper pull the other day at the In the Garden art show from Karen Elmquist. I think the bead is absolutely beautiful and I can't tell you how pleased I am every time I look at my car keys and see this bead hanging there.

It's just a little thing, just a little burst of beauty in a sometimes grey and sad world but as a budding artist, I can only hope that my creations can bring that much joy to the people who own them. In the meantime, Karen, thank you for bringing that gift to my life today when I so badly needed it!



Commitment update: 5 workouts in 7 days. At the end of week 1, I am right on schedule!

No comments: