Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Happy Canada Day, eh?

Our beloved country is 142 years young today. Sadly, it seems many of our young people don't know who Sir John A. MacDonald was (our first Prime Minister). Did you know he was actually knighted by Queen Victoria on this very day of our Confederation in 1867? I didn't know that.

July 1st used to be called Dominion Day, when we celebrate the enactment of the British North America Act which united four provinces into the country of Canada, but they officially changed the name to Canada Day back in 1982. But did you know that February 15th is National Flag of Canada Day? I didn't know that.

We have many reasons to be proud of our country and heritage. We have contributed a lot to the advancement of civilization, and not just because of Tim Horton's (did you know they are about to open their first store in New York City? They already have 527 location in the U.S., and over 3,000 in Canada). I didn't know that either.

Our national TV station, the CBC, did a special about the top 50 Canadian inventions - you can view the list here: http://www.cbc.ca/inventions/. Canadians were asked to pick their favourites and insulin made the number one spot, no surprise there, but did you know 5 pin bowling made 4th place and the Wonderbra was 5th?! Nope, I never would have guessed that.

We're also the second largest country by total area, with Russia being the largest. Did you know that the U.S. and China are tied for third place? Brazil and Australia come in at 5th and 6th, respectively. I didn't know that.

I'll be the first to admit, there's a lot I don't know about my country. I do know I am and always will be proud to be a Canadian.

No comments: