Monday, October 19, 2009

Pas de Francais Ce Soir

No French class tonight. I feel very much like a kid who has woken up to find the world covered in several inches of snow and realizes that means there will be a snow day, the delight of the unexpected freedom. But I'm also a bit pissed off that we didn't find out that the class was cancelled until after we'd sat waiting for the teacher for 25 minutes and only after one of the office staff tracked him down by phone. The good news is, our teacher had not suffered some unforeseen calamity, had not fallen and could not get up, was not stuck in traffic gridlock. The bad news (for him) is, he is apparently very sick. Unfortunately for us, he was apparently too sick to remember he had a class to teach or to call in to let the office know. Not that I would have rathered he called to say "I can't talk long as I'm in the emergency ward and they don't like people to use their cell phones, but still, it amazes me that a professional teacher could not give some consideration to the 20 students waiting for him to show up. A little common courtesy is all I'm asking. Especially since he probably realized long before 7:20 p.m. that he was too sick to teach tonight.

Ah well, what can you do? As the Monty Python song says, we must always look on the bright side of the life. I am glad to be home early and not to have been exposed to any more germs, and I am relieved that I don't have to strain my brain with a class that is very much like work (as compared to my two artistic classes, which are much more like fun) on a night when I am still very tired from yesterday's exertions.


So instead, I will share with you the very beautiful French themed locker art from the very talented students who attend one of the high schools at which I am taking a night school class. I give you - the artists Degas, Toulouse-Lautrec and Gaughin, and the characters from French literature, Le Petit Prince, Le Petit Nicolas (of whom I had not heard of before, I had to Google him but if this artwork is any indication, the illustrations are amazing!) and of course, the infamous Caillou.

No comments: