Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Last Night and Tonight

Did you happen to catch that Twins/Tigers baseball game last night? Probably not, if you live in Ontario, since it seems the game wasn't carried on any of the regular sports channels (do you seriously expect me to believe boxing or some sports chat show is more important than two teams who have to play an extra game to decide which one goes on to play in the division playoff series??) and/or blacked out in certain areas. In fact, I read in the paper that of the two channels that did carry the game, one of them blacked out at 9 p.m. (the game started at 5 p.m.), just at the bottom of the 10th inning as the game was tied up at 5 runs a piece. Man, I would have screamed long and hard if I had been watching that channel!! Then probably thrown my TV off the balcony a la "Network". But luckily, that didn't happen to me.

I watched the first 6 innings of the game, then had to head out to my Bead Crazy night school class - score was 3 to 1 for Detroit. I listened to the seventh inning in the car, which was pretty exciting as the Twins brought in 2 runs to tie up the game. Just as I arrived at the school, at the top of the 8th, Detroit brought in a 4th run to pull ahead - it was definitely turning into a nail biter! I was tempted to sit in my car and keep listening but, as usual, the call of the beads won.

Imagine my surprise when I got back in the car TWO HOURS LATER and the game was STILL ON!! They were in the 12th inning and I tuned in just in time to hear the announcer excitedly announce that the runner was heading for home plate to win the game for the Minnesota Twins. Man, it doesn't get any more exciting than that if you're a baseball fan and for those 54,088 people in the Metrodome, it's a game they will always remember.

(photo credit: Brian Peterson/AP/Minneapolis Star Tribune)

Tonight, I'm off to the October meeting of the Toronto Bead Society. It should be a very interesting meeting, as Maria Rypan, Marilyn Gardiner and Carla Canonico (editor in chief of "A Needle Pulling Thread") are presenting a panel on "Selling Your Designs for Publication." You can check out the details here: http://http//www.torontobeadsociety.org/web/index.php.

No comments: