Saturday, October 18, 2008

The "To Do" List

I am having one of those productive days, where I am actually making my way quite successfully through the "to do" list I made for this weekend. In fact, it's going so well that I almost don't want to stop, in case I'm not as successful tomorrow!

I've been very busy today - in no particular order, I balanced my chequebook, went for a walk, did a little shopping at the drug store, did a little shopping online, wrote this blog, packed about a dozen boxes for my upcoming move, rearranged some furniture so I could have somewhere to store the packed boxes and those that will follow, made some jewellery, did a little cooking, washed dishes. In fact, I don't have too much left on the list to cross off tomorrow, although the fact that I have lots of packing left to do will surely fill most of my time quite handily.

Isn't it funny how some days you're right on track, motoring along, getting things done and other days, even though you might have lots of things you "should" be doing, you end up just hanging out on the couch watching movies or reading a good book for the better part of the day?

I am convinced that we need both types of days. Either you are full of energy that needs to be used up or you need to lie quietly and let the energy build again. Sometimes it feels like my brain is a bit like the paperweight pictured here, all scrambled up inside with thoughts of all the things that need to be done. I usually end up making the "to do" list at those times, in order to get the thoughts out of my head and down on paper, so they'll stop spinning around and sit quietly. Other days, I make the list because I can't seem to keep anything in my head, so I write it down before I forget it again.

By the way, that beautiful paperweight was made by a man named Terry Craig, who teaches glass blowing at the Haliburton School of The Arts and my "to do" list of courses to take there is also quite extensive!

No comments: