Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Just a little change


It's interesting to me how just a little change can make all the difference to a finished piece of jewellery.

For example, here is a picture of a double strand necklace that I made in a bead class last year. The teacher had made up the kits in advance and I liked the colours, I thought the necklace turned out okay, I liked the design with the double strands of wire but in the end, I wasn't too excited about it, there was just something about it that kept me from being totally thrilled about having made it.

A couple of months later, my sister Janine was showing me some shell circles that she'd bought and I got the idea to add them to this necklace (and also made up a pair of matching earrings) and voila, here is the new and improved, finished product:

It just need a little change, a little something extra to make it "pop".

That is also the beauty of having a stash of beads on hand. You just never know when those beads you bought last month, or two years or eight years ago for no particular reason, other than you liked them and just knew you had to have them, will come in handy and end up being just the right thing to add to a current project. So when somebody tells you you've got too many beads, just smile and say, "you can never have enough!"

No comments: