Sunday, March 18, 2012

Cleaning Out My Colon

Water.
Ginger ale.
Chicken broth.
Yellow jello.
Apple juice.

This is my "diet" today, as I prepare for a routine colonoscopy tomorrow.  (Much to my amusement, Blogger's spellcheck doesn't recognize the "c" word, the options are "cloudscape" and "kaleidoscope".  Now that's funny.)

It's rather a boring selection, so I thought I'd watch some TV to distract myself, until I realized how many food commercials there are on TV.  Dairy Queen, Pizza Hut, Nutella, that puffy little Pillsbury dough boy - they've all been tempting me today. 

But it's only one day.  After the procedure tomorrow, I can eat whatever I want, whenever I want.  In the meantime, it's a liquid diet for me and time spent sitting in the bathroom while ignoring the siren's call of the food in my cupboard and fridge.  Piece of cake.  (damn, why did I have to mention cake?!)
Photo courtesy of betterlifestylesinc.com
By the way, if you are due for a colonoscopy (for example, if you have a family history of colon cancer, as I do, not to mention that everyone should have one every 5 or 10 years starting at age 50) and have been putting it off, please don't. It's an easy procedure. The preparation isn't wonderful but it isn't that bad either, it's only a day and a half out of your life and it might actually save your life by locating a problem that has a much higher chance of being completely cured than if you wait. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eeuuww. Been there, done that. By the time you read this, I hope you've been there, done that, and are enjoying a piece of cake.

Colleen said...

Good luck at your kaleidoscope appointment:)

Cynthia of Cynful Creations said...

Thanks, ladies! Everything went fine, I can relax and forgot about it for the next five years!