Saturday, March 10, 2012

Anonymous

As some of you may have noticed, a little while ago, I turned off the catcha code verification step for those leaving comments on this blog.  The weird thing is, now that that verification step is off, I receive a lot of comments from "anonymous".
Photo courtesy of webmonkey.com
They show up as emails in my inbox, as do all comments, but when I go to the actual blog post, the anonymous comment is not visible.  Which is probably just as well, because often they seem to be trying to sell me something, like Hermes bags or valium, or they are advertising European golfing experiences. 

Some are written in another language, like this one that started off with: "Тематика форума: Обсуждение работы интернет" (my apologies if you can read that and it says something offensive, I have no idea!)  Others are in English but don't actually make much sense, like this one: "Will to get determined remove Only certainty morning time the constant pain to quarter."

Or this one, that starts off as if they have something important to say but there seem to be a number of essential words missing so that the message doesn't quite make any sense:  "Frequently persons hunt for easy answers to complicated troubles. Several would choose to possess a simple report on precious stone marks along with equivalent prices, by means of size. Sad to say, current market the weather is change regularly, in addition to, more important, considerable variations in price usually derive from delicate variations in quality definitely not conveniently discernable to the but the expert. Thus, it's not necessarily doable to supply a basic solution to this complicated dilemma."

Sometimes, it's a reassuring message like this one:  "This assures them that you should be a successful candidate for college courses. Calla lilies are an excellent selection for weddings."

This interesting one even said, "good day everyone im looking for matt leverton is he still posting here
alf beilin".   Alas, I have no idea who Matt Leverton is and to my knowledge, he doesn't post on my blog.
Others are just a bunch of jumbled letters and numbers, like this: "/%d0%bf%d1%80%d0%be%d0%b4%d0%b0%d0%b6%d0%b0-%".

I can't figure out the purpose of these messages. As far as I can tell, they're not doing any harm and if I'm the only one who can see them, no problem  But I just don't understand why these messages appear in the first place.  Who writes them and what's the point?!  I guess it's just one of life's mysteries.

3 comments:

Lori Wostl said...

Maybe they are internet fortune cookies LOL - Lori W at Art Camp for Women

Anne Marie - Toronto said...

You can turn off "anonymous" comments in blogger. They're probably going into your blogger spam folder and that's why you can't see them here.

Anne Marie - Toronto said...
This comment has been removed by the author.