Sunday, May 23, 2010

Niagara Falls - Part 1

What a great couple of days we had. Kate McKinnon and I went to Niagara Falls on Friday morning. I hadn't been for a couple of years and the last time I went, it was the middle of December and freeeeeezing cold. It's a totally different experience in warm weather, let me tell you! There was also a strong breeze, which made it really fun when we stood too close to the Falls and got drenched in mist! We did the "Journey Behind the Falls", which is a little tiny peek behind the Falls, not what I was expecting. But we sure did get close.

I've always wanted to go on the Maid of the Mist, the boat that tours close to the base of the Falls, but couldn't convince Kate to go with me, so I'll have to save that for some other day but I did get some good photos of the people in the blue plastic ponchos. Our ponchos were yellow, thinner than a garbage bag and not a good fashion look but definitely made a difference when we were standing in the spray.

We visited Niagara-on-the-Lake in the afternoon. We bought some fudge, found a great sewing and yarn store where we bought some beautiful ribbon and I picked up some "fat quarters" (1/4 yard fabric squares) and we saw this amazing plant, a Japanese peony tree, according to a handwritten sign posted on the fence outside the house whose yard the tree was growing in (no doubt the owner had gotten tired of people asking!) The flowers were the size of my head and here's the photo to prove it!

This morning, I took part in the Corset Stitch class taught by Kate at Beads of Colour. What a pretty pattern this is, I'm going to have fun making this bracelet. Here's a picture of Debi and Barb from BOC, who were also in the class, as was Marg, the owner of Beadfx and four other lovely ladies Jill, Ana, Helen and Louise, with the ever helpful Chris giving us a hand and finding beads for us as needed.

Tomorrow I'll share some more pictures from our adventures with you, so stay tuned! In the meantime, check out Kate's blog (see link on the right) for her version of the story.

2 comments:

kate mckinnon said...

We sure had fun, didn't we? I leave tomorrow morning, with a lot of good memories. Thank you so much for taking me to the Falls!

Bill told me today that any minute (in geologic time) the Falls will erode enough that Lake Erie will catastrophically empty into the ocean. Cool!

Cynthia of Cynful Creations said...

We sure did. Good heavens, that does sound rather catastrophic, doesn't it? Lucky for us, geological time is several lifetimes away! I don't think I want to be around when that happens. Have a safe trip home!