Thursday, May 6, 2010

I Need a New Gadget

What would you do if someone gave you $500 to spend on anything you want? What would you buy?

There are a couple of things to consider: (1) it's a credit card in your name with a $500 credit balance, it's not cash - so you can't give it away or apply it towards the hydro bill; and (2) it's a windfall, so you have to spend it on something for yourself that is out of the ordinary and special, not just use it to buy groceries or gas or some other regular expenditure that you would have bought anyway.

This is my current quandary (not that I am complaining!). My company very kindly gave me said $500 credit card as a bonus for having been with the company for five years. Now that I have the money in hand, I'm not sure what to spend it on. Maybe I'll get myself a new gadget of some sort.
Have you seen those new Kobo ereaders, for reading digital books? Kind of like a Kindle only cheaper and as of earlier this week, now available in Canada. The book I'm currently reading (Diana Gabaldon's "A Breath of Snow and Ashes") is just under 1000 pages and although it's a softcover, it's rather large - only a little bit smaller than 8.5 x 11 inches in size, so it isn't exactly easy to carry around, let alone read in bed, so I'm thinking this gadget might be useful.

I've also toyed with the idea of buying myself a fancy new DSLR camera or maybe a laptop, both of which would cost more than $500 but at least I wouldn't have to pay the full price. Pr perhaps I'll buy myself a plane ticket somewhere?

I figure I'll know what to do with the money when the time is right. In the meantime, the card sits in my wallet waiting to be used and most of the time, I forget that it is there.

What I really need is a new gadget to replace the one on the right hand side of this blog counting down the number of days until my trip to France and Spain. Sadly, the Paris and Barcelona weeks have been cancelled (hopefully Paris is just postponed until spring of 2011) so instead of 105 days until I leave, it's actually 112. Only trouble is, I can't figure out how to edit the date and I can't find where I got the gadget in the first place. I tried looking on Blogger and online for a new countdown clock but haven't found one I like yet. No worries, I'll just have to keep looking for just the right thing. I'll know it when I see it.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

OO la la. What a treat. I would buy an Ipad if I had a spare $500 but that's just me. Enjoy my friend. Congratulations on your bonus. It will make you abundantly rich knowing you always have $500 in your wallet! Very cool.

Melanie said...

Oooo, decisions, decisions!! I have a Kindle and I absolutely adore it. Can't go wrong there (or with something like it) if you love reading, that's for sure.