Wednesday, August 1, 2012

I Wasn't Ready!

As a foster parent, you always know that the cats and kittens you are looking after can be adopted at any time but that doesn't necessarily make it any easier to say goodbye when the time comes. 

When I got home late Monday evening from my weekend at the beach with my cousins, there was an email about a woman who was interested in adopting Yonhee.  She and I traded emails yesterday and spoke this morning on the phone.  We made arrangements for her to come meet Yonhee next week, after the long weekend.  I had mentioned that Yonhee and Joy had become good friends while living here together and suggested that maybe she might want to adopt both of them, in case the cat she has now wasn't going to be a good candidate for being a buddy for Yonhee, who is a very social girl.  I needed to know she wasn't going to be a solo cat.  But I was also excited about the fact that this family has 3 kids between the ages of 10 and 15, as well as a dog and a cat, so it would no doubt be a very busy home, which would also be good for the very frisky and curious girl that is young Yonhee.

So I was surprised when the lady called back late this afternoon to ask if she could come meet Yonhee tonight but of course, I couldn't (and wouldn't) say no.  She and her 10 year daughter and niece arrived and met the cats, including my Maggie but of course, not Katrina, who was hiding in her regular spot under the bed while all of this was going on!  Both cats were very friendly and playful, putting their best little furry faces forward.  It's as if they know why the visitors are here and they behave accordingly!

I think it was love at first sight, Mom with Yonhee and the daughter with Joy.  In the end, they couldn't decide on just one and were happy to take both of them (although once the decision was made, do you think we could get those cats into the carriers quickly and easily?? Noooo.  Geez.)  I am very pleased about this because I know how well the two of them get along.  Turns out their existing cat is about 8 years old, so she might not be happy at first to have two new furballs in the house but no doubt that will smooth out over time.  Katrina hasn't been too thrilled to have Yonhee here for the past 7 months but the two of them developed a routine and gave each other a wide berth for the most part.

But I have to admit that I wasn't quite ready to let either of them go.  They are both such sweet, lovely cats.  I know they will be a great addition to this family and I am so excited for the cats to be going to a new, permanent home that will be filled with people to pet and play with them. But I will certainly miss having them here with me.

Farewell, my little darlings.  Be well, be happy.  I wish you a long and love-filled life together in your new home.  I know your new family will soon love you just as much as I do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss them myself.

Nicole/tiff said...

Found your write up on the kitties, both are settling in fine, and Joy has become the master of the house, putting our other cat in her place when needed. The dog is keeping her distance though as she is not quite sure of the new additions. We are quickly becoming one big happy family.