Saturday, July 2, 2011

Leaving for Portugal

Two weeks ago today, I headed off to Portugal.  When my flight to Newark was cancelled the night before, I had gone home and went to bed early.  I slept in and had a leisurely morning, since I was already packed and ready to go.  Either Gus didn't want me to leave or he wanted to come along with me.

There were no delays with my flights this time around, everything went smoothly, although the lineup to go through US customs was the longest I have ever experienced. I was excited to be able to see my apartment building from the plane - it's the middle one, gold in colour, towards the top of the photo below.  I often see planes flying overhead when I'm driving or walking near my building and wonder where they are headed, now I know!

We also flew right over downtown Toronto as we headed south.  Of course, it's hard to get a clear photo through the double panes of plexiglass or acrylic that they use for airplane windows but that didn't stop me from trying. You can see the island airport, the CN Tower and the Skydome (I still don't want to have to call it the Rogers Centre) in the picture below.

As we flew into Newark, New Jersey, we followed the Hudson River and had a clear view of lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty, which was pretty exciting.  Sadly, I was seated on the opposite side of the plane so my attempts to get a photo were unsuccessful but I saw her again in an airport gift shop.  :)

I had a seat booked on both the flights to Lisbon showing on this board, but cancelled the second one when it was confirmed that the earlier flight would be leaving on time.

The flight with TAP Portugal was really good, in a brand new, sparkling clean airplane. 

There was a mostly full moon shining outside my window for most of the flight, which was quite magical to see.  Before I knew it, we were arriving in Lisbon!

No comments: