Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Taking Stock

Now that a little time has passed and my mind is a little clearer, I've started to take stock of what happened in the accident and what has been damaged.

Physically, I am still stiff and sore today but I'm not feeling as bad as I thought I would be. I saw my family doctor yesterday and he prescribed some anti-inflammatory pills, so I am assuming that medication is already doing its job, even after just one dose. I do have several new bruises today, in some rather unusual places, mostly on my legs. A couple are clearly from the seatbelt but the rest are mostly below my knees which makes me wonder what I would have banged up against in the car to cause them to occur - the steering wheel? The dash under the steering wheel?


One of the casualties of the accident is my laptop. I'm afraid to even turn it on, as it looks quite banged up. There are a couple of actual dents in the outside case, one corner is broken and the screen looks like it may be cracked. The insurance adjuster has suggested that I take it to a computer store and have them access the damage. The laptop will be easy enough to replace if it is unrepairable but of course, all I'm worried about are the photos I have saved on there because the majority of the pictures from my trip to France are there. Foolishly, I hadn't backed them up yet. I was actually planning to do that backup when I got home Sunday night. Of course, I meant to do it before we even left France but ran out of time. Ah well, c'est la vie.


So, fingers crossed. Chances are they can be accessed and copied onto a disk. If not, I guess I'll just have to head back to France sooner than later and take them all again!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Holy cow, I'm glad you are ok although battered and bruised from the accident.
I was in a rear end accident years ago, my best advice to you is to go to a good chiropractor... immediately. I found out 4 years after the fact that my neck curvature had been completely reversed due to that accident and was causing all the horrible migraines I started having. Because it had been reversed for so long the chiro couldn't get it put completely back the way it should have been, but if I had known and gone when it happened it would have fixed fine.

And retain a good lawyer to handle all the monetary insurance issues if your insurance doesn't handle BOTH the car and medical parts. It will reduce stress on you and make sure all the bills are covered by the other persons insurance company.

I hope you get to feeling better, but speaking from experience the whiplash soreness/pain in your neck muscles will take a week or so to ease up.

Oh, and a computer place should be able to get your files off the hard drive just fine if the hard drive wasn't damaged by the impact.