Monday, September 27, 2010

One Last Look


I got to have one last look at the remains of the Cherry Bomb today.  I had to drive to the lot where it is being stored to remove my licence plates and car mats.  The poor thing was just sitting in a bunch of weeds on the edge of the lot, surrounded by other broken vehicles, some of them much more damaged than mine, if you can imagine.  The rear bumper was in the back seat when I arrived but the guy who let me onto the lot pulled it out to remove the plate. 

It was my first time on the big highway since the accident.  It was about half an hour each way and I have to say, I was more than a little nervous as I drove along, especially when I got boxed in by a bunch of big trucks at one point.  However, I made it there and back without incident but man, were my shoulders and neck tense by the time it was over! (Thank goodness I had a physio appointment tonight to work out all that extra tension.)

I was feeling a little bit sorry for myself as I drove to the lot, thinking about all the nuisance things I have to take care of to get my life back to normal after the accident and worrying about all the minor little details.  That feeling lasted until I got to my destination and met the guy I'd spoken to earlier on the phone, and noticed his arms were only as long as his elbows.  His handicap didn't seem to slow him down at all, he grabbed a torque wrench and got that licence plate off my mangled bumper in less time than it would have taken me to figure out how to attach the darned thing to the bolt. 

Makes you realize, there's always somebody who is worse off than you are and often times, what you might think of as a problem really isn't that bad at all.  When he asked me if I'd been driving the car when it got hit and told me how lucky I was to have walked away, I had no trouble agreeing with him!

2 comments:

J9F said...

bye bye Cherry Bomb! thank you for taking care of my sister!

seems to me you must be very special to have walked away from that accident!

it was a reminder to live your life to the fullest sis!

Sharon said...

Cynthia, I'm sorry that your car was mushed but it was a small sacrafice to have you with us. It's been said when we are in an accident and hit from behind that our life is about to change in a big way for the better! It's like the Universe pushes your energy to where it has to go. It's going to be an interesting year for you I'd say! Glad you are safe my Friend. Sharon