Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Collage Course - Week 1

I signed up to take an evening course with the Toronto District School Board on the subject of collaging.  Last Tuesday was our first class.  We were supposed to use only black and white text to complete the first project, using random shapes formed with the text and not the actual words.  I realized after I was done that I had deviated from that instruction more than once, but that's okay, we're not being graded on our creations!


I was using a Cosmopolitan magazine from 1983 as my source, which made for some hilarious reading.  As you can see from my collage, I even used part of an ad for the Columbia House tape club as part of my collage.  Talk about a blast from the past!

I'm not sure yet whether I like the class. The teacher seemed rather disorganized and didn't have anything planned for us to do for the last hour of the 3 hour class, which was somewhat alarming but then again, it was only the first week. We'll see how it goes tonight.

3 comments:

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey there! Lovely work. For extra inspiration, you might want to look at Hannah Hoch's collages. Or Lee Krasner. Or Picasso's or Juan Gris. Picasso has a great quote somewhere about being conscious about using text as pattern and not merely for narrative purposes. I've found it to be helpful for me.

If you're ever stuck designing with text elements, try using ones in a different language. I've found that sometimes the sentimentality of a word and its meaning will sometimes prevent me from using certain materials or act as "instant content" and change the meaning of the piece. I got a package from Thailand wrapped in newspapers in Thai and have had a lot of success using photocopies of those.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your car AND you won a giveaway on my blog. Send me your address and I'll drop it in the post: ardenttie@yahoo.com

Andrew Thornton said...

P.S. I used to teach collage, so if you have any questions or need help with any techniques or materials, I'd be happy to help. But it looks like you're doing marvelously. Keep up the good work!

Cynthia of Cynful Creations said...

Thank you, Andrew, for the inspiring words and for the wonderful prize giveaway. I am so excited to have won! And I love the idea about using text in a different language, that is a fabulous idea.