Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Adjusting to Real Life

It's a weird sensation, coming home from vacation, getting back to reality. It always surprises me how easily you slip back into your regular day to day routine, as if you've never been away, and yet at the same time, you can feel yourself processing the vacation memories and experiences, knowing that it was a life altering experience, that you have changed deep down inside and that life as you knew it will never quite be the same again.

I'm not the only one adjusting to being back home. Both last night and tonight, Max has been spending quite a bit of time lying in my half-unpacked suitcase. Maybe he thinks that if he stays there, it might be a good way to make sure I take him with me next time I go anywhere.


I'm definitely a little jetlagged, which I know because my brain simply isn't firing on all circuits. I was back at work today, reading the same emails over and over and they just weren't making any sense. I got a few things done but I was clearly off my game. Luckily, there was nothing urgent that had to be done.

I laughed when I realized in the car this morning that I was still trying to shift gears with a clutch pedal that wasn't there. It took me several minutes tonight to figure that the pictures I was looking for are still sitting in my camera, waiting to be downloaded to my computer. I went grocery shopping after work but had trouble deciding what I needed to get.

No doubt things will be better tomorrow, after another good night's sleep.

1 comment:

kate mckinnon said...

can't BELIEVE you had to go back to work your first day home! I was a basket case.

It must be so nice to hold Max again. I've kissed Jasper until he practically has bald patches, and will accost Miss Fish and Simon in the same manner Friday night!