Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A Cross in Castres


I saw the most amazing ironwork cross yesterday outside a church in Castres. We were walking quickly past and I only had time for a couple of quick photos, the others breezed right past and didn't seem to notice it but I was mesmerized. I especially liked the way the shadow on the wall behind looked. I was able to take a picture at two times in the afternoon, around noon (see two lower photos) and later at about 4 p.m. (top photo) so the shadow had shifted in the meantime.

I wish I had paid more attention to the church itself so I could look up it up on the Internet, try to discover the meaning of the sculpture at the bottom of the cross. The snake eating the apple seems obvious enough but why the skull and the headless figure?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castres_Cathedral