Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Mosaics in Milwaukee

Ever since my visit to the Hacienda Mosaico in January, I have become more interested in mosaics. So imagine my surprise when I arrived at the Milwaukee airport and discovered all these lovely designs incorporated into the floor there:




A quick check on Google revealed that the floor is a "a showcase for the artist Carlos Alves who produced the mosaic floor medallions that make up the work "Aerial Wisconsin" in the concourse's terrazzo floor. Depicted in the medallions are images of locations that passengers may see from the air as they approach General Mitchell International Airport."




My favourite was this last one, with all the church spires. It made me think of Europe for some reason, perhaps because it seems all the great cities have churches on every other street corner.

No comments: