Thursday, June 25, 2009

Farewell to Farrah

I was sorry to hear that Farrah Fawcett died today, although glad for her sake that her suffering is over.

I was in high school when she first became famous and everyone always asked if we were related, given that we share the same last name (as far as I know, we weren't, but we always liked to entertain the idea that she was our long lost cousin). Alas, that was probably the only thing we had in common. That famous haircut never worked on my poker straight hair and not for lack of trying on my part, both with the curling iron and using Farrah Fawcett shampoo!! But she was a definite part of my growing up years - my brother Craig had that iconic red bathing suit poster up on his bedroom wall for many years and I watched the "Charlie's Angels" TV show both while she was on it and after she left, and was impressed to realize she had some genuine acting skills and wasn't just another pretty blonde, as proved by her performances in movies such as The Burning Bed. One of the articles I read today mentioned she appeared on an episode of The Partridge Family, which I didn't remember (and I could have sworn I saw every one of those shows???!!) but when I watched the clip on YouTube, it did seem vaguely familiar...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNbtVZ_V-_Y And of course, there were all those hair and toothpaste commercials (and shaving cream and the Mercury Cougar car featuring the "moon roof"...the list goes on)!

It definitely seems like the end of an era, somehow...

No comments: