Saturday, March 7, 2009

Treasure Hunting in Mexico

It occurs to me that I have neglected to tell you about our trip to the junk store during my visit to Puerto Vallarta back in January. It was only a few blocks away from the Hacienda Mosaico, an easy stroll on a warm, sunny day when we wanted a bit of a break from jewellery making.

From the outside, it looked like someone's garage, as if they had just opened the doors to let people see what was inside. We explored the various aisles, exclaiming over the treasures and just plain old junk, and marvelled at the quantity of miscellaneous stuff piled high to the rafters, all of it covered with a layer of dust.

There were a lot of larger pieces that I had to ignore, especially a few pieces of furniture and a very cool pair of suits of armour, as there was no way I'd ever get them home to Canada but Kate ended up buying a fabulous metal dragon that she then managed to fit into one of her suitcases by packing the dragon first and then fitting all her other bits and pieces around it. Me, I could barely lift the thing but it certainly was magnificent and worth the trouble to get it home.

I ended up buying several packages of buttons after rooting through a couple of boxes full of a multitude of them that Heather found on one of the shelves. I think we all ended up buying a few different packages, but I believe I bought the most.

Tomorrow, I'll show you what I did with some of them. :)

No comments: