Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A Simple Note

As I left work tonight, I passed a car that had a big note left on the windshield. It was written on an 8 1/2 x 11 inch piece of paper so it would be very noticeable to the driver when they came back to the car (and easy to read for curious passersby, such as yours truly.) It said, "Please check your tires before you drive" and it was signed by Security.
The two tires on the driver's side looked fine to me, so I checked out the other side as I passed behind the car. Sure enough, the front right tire did not look healthy. It wasn't completely flat but there was definitely something wrong with it and chances are, the car wouldn't have travelled too far without the driver becoming aware there was a problem.

Luckily for this driver, though, one of the security guards in our building had noticed it and gone so far as to leave a note. A simple thing for him to do and if asked, he'd probably say he was just doing his job, part of which involves keeping an eye on what's going on in the parking lot, but ultimately, one that potentially could have saved someone's life. A nuisance for the driver to have to deal with on a very cold winter's evening but better to have it looked after in a well-lit public parking lot than somewhere in the dark on the side of a busy highway.

If I was that driver, I'd be very grateful to that security guard (a) for noticing my tire problem, and (b) for taking the time to leave a note to warn me about it. Thank you, sir, for taking that extra care.

No comments: