Tuesday, May 7, 2013

A Mystery

On one of my many trips to the mailbox located across the street from the office building where I work during National Letter Writing Month (a.k.a. April), I noticed a hotel key card on the ground beside the mailbox.  You know the kind they have these days, the ones that look like a credit card.  It was just after the snowbanks had melted away, a process which usually leaves behind (or reveals) a lot of garbage and general debris.  I assumed this card was just that, as it was lying in a rather haphazard fashion on the ground about a foot or so away from the mailbox.  Since it was a pretty shade of teal, I picked it up and took it home, intending to use it to spread paint or gel medium or modeling paste on my artwork.

A week or so later, I came to the mailbox again and discovered another card from the same hotel (which is located about a five minute drive from the mailbox location).  Only this time, it was firmly placed under a rock directly beside the mailbox.

I went back the next day and it was still there.


The next time I checked, the card was gone, although the stone was still there.

Of course, I am full of curiosity about what this is all about.  The second card was so deliberately placed, it can't be a random occurrence.  It must have been left there for someone to pick up, don't you think?  Did I inadvertently screw up someone's arrangements by taking that first card?  Perhaps it's a pair of lovers scheduling a secret assignation.  Perhaps someone sharing a room with another person for some reason (airline personnel between flights, possibly, given our proximity to the airport?)?  I'd love to know the story.

For now, it remains a mystery.

No comments: