Saturday, September 22, 2012

Winter is Coming

Not only is this the motto of the House of Stark in my current favourite books, the Game of Thrones series written by George_R._R._Martin, it is also a fact of life for us Canadians.  We live with the knowledge that summer won't last and sooner or later, the cold weather will return.  It happened this week actually, the temperatures have definitely turned cooler and we know in our hearts that those hot, humid days have come to an end for this year, although hopefully we still have several more warm days ahead. 

But before the snow arrives, we first have the season of fall to enjoy.  It officially began today, on the autumnal equinox.  (Don't you just love that word, autumnal? I do.)

I took this photo last night of the front of someone's house.  I love the combination of the colours in the leaves of the tree, the green in the windows and the white stone lit by a spotlight - it suggests the three seasons of summer, fall and winter to me.  Life is rarely black and white and this time of year, the weather is just as unpredictable, as one season passes into another and a third approaches.

1 comment:

Lori Wostl said...

I read and read and read The Game of Thrones - right through the middle of the most recent volume - and they are voluminous - I realized finally that in this series of books there are no happy endings, there will be no happy endings and I like happy endings eventually. The writing is good, the story and characters are good...it is just the ending of each and every - not happy. I gave up.
PS your capcha tool is too hard to read