Monday, September 10, 2012

My Pet Peeve

This month's theme for the Journal Junkies is "pet peeves".  At first, I didn't know what I would do my page about but one day two weeks ago, I was on the elevator with someone who was playing a video of something insensible and completely annoying on their cell phone while we made the very short trip upwards and I thought, "Seriously?  You couldn't have spared me that and waited just a few seconds more to watch in the privacy of your own home, instead of being rude to a stranger?" And voila, I had my answer.

Here is my almost finished page:

I used collaged papers, gouache, acrylic paint, stencils, punchinella, foam alphabet stamps, magazine cutouts to make this page.  I thought about outlining the words "cell phones" in heavy black for more emphasis but I like the messy way the letters turned out after dipping the foam letters in watered down acrylic paints, they look a little spooky in a Hallowe'enish kind of way. I also didn't want to detract from the text underneath that is still visible under the yellow paint but which would be compromised if I were to do anything further.  In the end, I added a little shadowing with a dark Pan Pastel to give the letters a little more emphasis.

No comments: