Friday, February 24, 2012


I've been a commuter this week.  For 3 out of 4 days, I rode the subway and on the fourth day, I had to drive across the city during morning rush hour (shudder).  I have to say, I don't miss it.  I used to live downtown and would drive 45 minutes to work every day, then 45 minutes home each night.  Of course, if there was weather or an accident or construction, 45 minutes could be an hour to 1.5 hours.  After this week, I am happier than ever that I chose to move close to where I work and now my regular commute is about 10 minutes each way in the car (or less than an hour's walk, if I am so inclined, which I occasionally am) - bliss!

I took my camera along for the ride today. We were supposed to have a major snowfall of 5 to 10 cm, they've been talking about it for days, warning everyone to prepare for the worst but as usual with this winter of 2012 that hasn't been much of a winter (at least for the City of Toronto), it didn't happen. We got lots of rain instead, which meant lots of puddles and a damp wait for the bus.

But nice and dry inside the subway car (I get on at the end of the line, so it's possible to be in an almost empty car for at least one stop before the rest of the rush hour hoards embark).

When I had to switch trains, closer to downtown, it was three people deep on the subway platform.  Or so I thought, until I turned around and realized there were several more rows of people standing behind me. 

Even if you aren't claustrophobic, this can be an unnerving experience, especially if you are forced to stand near the edge of the platform as a train is coming in to the station.

I was attending a work-related conference for the past two days, hence the reason for the trips downtown.  Why do hotel conference areas always have such bland walls and such funky carpets?

Even in the heart of downtown, you can still find a little bit of country.

This was me trying to sneak a picture of the teenager with the torn stockings on the trip home (rather unsuccessfully, obviously, but you get the gist).  Wondering how she got all those holes in the nylons and yet they still stayed attached to her legs?  However, she was wisely wearing warm wool socks on the bottom half of her legs, it is winter after all!

Glad to be home, glad to be done with the subway travels for a while.

No comments: