Saturday, January 31, 2009

A Day Devoted to the Torch

Had a great day today with my sister. In the morning, we did an hour and a half of melting glass and making beads on the torch at Beadfx, and of course, did a little shopping while Rosemary was very kindly changing the oxygen tank for us, for some reason we both had to pick up some more beads for our stash - why is it that no matter how often I go there, I always find something I have to have? Often, it is something I haven't even seen on previous trips, which probably just means their inventory is just so vast and everchanging that one simply cannot keep up. I don't know how the people who work there earn a living, I know I'd be happy to trade my pay cheque for beads if I was employed there. (Oh wait a minute, I do that anyway!!)

After we grabbed some lunch, we headed over to the open house at Nortel Manufacturing, a.k.a. the place where they sell the glass and the torches and the flameworking supplies. We'd never been there before and it was a bit disconcerting to make our way behind the industrial buildings and through the mile high snowbanks to their office (it was hard to see the signs, they were almost hidden by snow) but it was well worth the effort, we were not disappointed!

They had several different types of torches set up and Dwyn Tomlinson and Amy Waldman-Smith were giving demonstrations. There were packages of glass everywhere in every colour of the rainbow and then some. The place is cluttered to the ceiling with stuff but has a really good feel to it and everything is very organized. Of course, we did not go away empty-handed, the sale prices were fabulous - many thanks to Jean and our buddy Lorri for helping us to make selections as well as for the free samples they added to our purchases.

Can't wait to get back to the torch next week to try out the new stuff!


No comments: