Monday, November 9, 2009

Playing Hooky

I played hooky from French class tonight. I am busy getting ready to leave for Tucson on Thursday and I was supposed to be out every night this week but I didn't get everything done that I needed to do on Sunday so I decided I needed one more night to get myself sorted. The next two nights are beading events, my "Bead Crazy Advanced" class tomorrow night and the Toronto Bead Society's November meeting on Wednesday, so I certainly wouldn't want to miss either one of those. It was easy to give up going to French class, since it is very much like school sometimes was when I was a kid - repetitive, boring and with no real indication of how what you are being taught will ever be useful in real life. We have been conjugating verbs in the past tense for 3 weeks now, over and over again, which is no doubt useful in every day life, because obviously you don't always speak in the present or future tense, but I am having trouble with the fact that the teacher doesn't tell us what the verbs mean. So even though I might know how to say them correctly as far as the grammatical context is concerned, how will I know when to actually use them in a sentence???? (insert heavy sigh here)

It is most frustrating and it just seemed like my life would be calmer if I wasn't sitting in that chair for two hours wishing I was at home getting more stuff done. So I stayed home instead, having a semi-leisurely evening working my way through my "to do" list. I feel much better as a result and I am enjoying just a little bit of that old feeling from school, when you felt like you were getting away with something by not going to class. :)

No comments: