Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Now I Really Feel Old

The other day when I visited the ROM, I felt compelled to take a picture of this Chinese dragon and this camel. I remembered the dragon from what I believe to be my last visit to the museum, which (I am embarrassed to admit) took place when I was in grade 7, wayyyyy back in 1974. I knew I had pictures from that school trip and that the dragon featured prominently in one of them. I didn't think the camel had any special significance, I just liked the way it looked. I wanted to take a picture from a different angle, from the camel's right hand side but from that viewpoint, the sign that says "don't touch" seemed too prominent in the picture so I took this angle instead.



When I got home, I went looking for those old photos and found the dragon shot I remembered. As you can see, five of my school pals are draped around that dragon (I was behind the lens, of course!). But imagine my surprise when lo and behold, I discovered a picture of myself sitting on that very camel, with a girl named Elaine wrapped around his head!




Apparently, the "do not touch" policy has been implemented some time since my last visit to the museum. I'm guessing we weren't the only school kids who thought it would be fun to climb on these artifacts!

No comments: