Sunday, November 1, 2009

Have You Been to the Fair?

The TBS Fall Bead Fair, I mean. If you weren't able to go yesterday, as I did, don't worry - they're still there today (from 11 am to 5 pm) and I did leave a few treasures behind for other people to buy, although I must say, it wasn't easy. I had set myself a budget - went with a certain amount of cash in my wallet and spent every penny of it and a little bit more on my VISA card. Okay, so I'm not good with a budget, it tends to end up as more of a general guideline. But man, it was worth it! Got some great beads!

Several people were dressed in costume, and an even greater number were wearing special jewellery (myself included) in recognition of the fact that it was Hallowe'en. Here's a lovely shot of Marilyn, Cindy, Sue and Kimberly in their orange and black outfits.

All my favourite vendors were there (and many more): Beadfx (picked up some copper findings), Black Tulip Designs (vintage beads and chain), Titan Beads (more copper findings - must be the fall season that makes me think I should be working in copper - and some multi-coloured agate stone beads that look like Cheerios), Laurie Wright, Erin Maloney (a.k.a. AirWynn Glass Designs) and Amy Waldman-Smith (all of whom provided me with glass beads extraordinaire), Marilyn Gardiner (finally got a small anvil, I've been wanting one for about 2 years now!), Iguana Beads (some beautiful but inexpensive Thai silver beads and some colourful chunky beads made out of I don't know what) and the Juicy Bead Ladies (who have the most fabulous vintage lucite beads, I picked up a lot of goodies at their booth but really had to hold myself back!)

The new facility, the CNIB building Bayview Avenue, is fabulous! Everyone remarked on the lovely big windows and the resulting natural light - even though it was a cloudy day, the windows provided a lovely view of the colourful trees outside - and having a cafeteria on the spot was very handy. It was also nice to have all the vendors in one large room, so you didn't miss anyone. Although I know there is one aisle I did not visit very carefully as I was already out of funds by the time I got to it!!

My sister Janine and I also did a two hour stint volunteering at the TBS membership table, which is always a fun way to meet new people. Here's a photo of Stephanie Dixon (the Volunteer Coordinator, a.k.a. The Dixon Chick and one of Swarovski's Crystal Ambassadors) and me at the table. If you are wondering about those little black dots above her head, here's a close-up - she had two bats attached to her headband, too funny.

So if you are wondering what to do with yourself today, head on over to the CNIB and do a little bead shopping - you won't regret it!

No comments: