Thursday, November 12, 2009

Arizona Bound

I am headed to Tucson, Arizona today, to take a 3 day workshop in precious metal clay with Kate McKinnon this weekend.

Funnily enough, when I was at the Royal Ontario Museum last Saturday, my attention was caught by a couple of very interesting artifacts, both of which turned out to be from Arizona.

One was a meteorite, just one of many pieces of an asteriod that crashed into the Earth about 50,000 years ago, leaving behind a huge crater near Winslow, Arizona.

The other was a large, beautiful stone that was part of the Gems exhibit. The sign in front said this was secondary copper ore from the Copper Queen mine in the Brisbee/Warren area of Arizona. I love the blue and green colours of the stone, the whole thing reminds me of how the earth looks from space, don't you think?

I doubt if I'll be anywhere near the origins of these two artifacts during my week in Tucson but Arizona, here I come!

No comments: