Monday, June 5, 2017

Growth

Today's ArtfulAdventures prompt made me think of the small cemetery that is located just a few blocks away from where I live.  I walked past it yesterday on my stroll around the neighbourhood.  I hadn't visited there since I wrote this blog post on New Year's Day 2010.  It looks much different this time of year than it did in the snow.
We've had so much rain over the past month, everything is green as green can be and there has been lots of growth as far as nature is concerned.  As you can see from the photos, this cemetery is actually rather overgrown.
In fact, if you approached it from this side, you wouldn't even know it is there!

As the photo below clearly shows, someone has been in there recently and cut off a number of branches.  Unfortunately, they left all the branches behind.  Hopefully they'll be back soon to clear them away.
I thought maybe someone had cut them to keep the trees underneath from growing taller and interfering with the power lines above but the cut branches were lower down and pointing towards the ground.  
There's a rusty old fence surrounding the small area but a rather new looking padlock holding it shut.  I wasn't in the mood to climb over the fence, I've grown out of that sort of shenanigan!
The neighbourhood has continued to grow and develop around the cemetery.  Here you can just catch a glimpse of the apartment building that stands next door.

I wonder if the occupants of that building even know the cemetery is there, or wonder about the headstones and the people who are buried there?


Day 27/30 - #artfuladventures with Nathalie Kalbach
Day 63/100 = #100dayproject

1 comment:

Nathalie Kalbach said...

Amazing. this reminds me of a really beautiful park in Hamburg, Germany- which has a small part that was a former cemetery hundreds of years ago - sometimes you walk in the grass and then all of a sudden there is an old weather head stone. I think a lot of people there are also not really aware that this was a cemetery ...or kind of still is I guess