Thursday, April 24, 2014

Plaster and Wax 101

When I was in Mexico last year, I had the pleasure of spending a week with a group of amazingly talented women.  The very first one I met on that trip was Kathie Vezzani.  We both arrived at the Houston airport for our connecting flight a few hours early. After exchanging messages via Facebook, we met up in a restaurant in one of the airport terminals and sat and talked together for more than an hour before the others started to arrive. From the moment we first met, we recognized each other as kindred spirits and we were friends immediately.

One of the very first things we talked about was encaustic art - using melted beeswax, in its natural state or with pigmented colour added, to add depth and texture to your artwork.  Kathie has had lots of experience with it and I've always wanted to learn more about it, I had a lot of questions for her.  So far, I've only had one short class in it and I haven't done anything with it since then and I can't remember much about what I was taught in that class.  It has been in the back of my mind for a while now that I'd like to explore this medium more.

Kathie and I shared a table that week for the art courses taught by two lovely human beings, Judy Wise (no stranger to encaustic wax herself, being one of the teachers at Encausticamp) and Katie Kendrick. Some of the art we made that week involved using strips of plaster as a substrata for our paintings. I loved the effect that resulted, it made me think of all those fabulous frescoed walls and ceilings you see in Italy.  Plaster with paint and then wax layered over top - sublime!

Sitting with Kathy, I had the pleasure of seeing her creations come to life up close and personal.  She made it look effortless and everything she drew, painted and waxed was fabulous.
Kathie and me
I am excited to share the news that she is about to teach what I believe is her very first online class, Plaster and Wax 101.  The course is being hosted by Jeanne Oliver Designs.  Jeanne is another one of the amazing women I met on that week in San Miguel de Allende - also incredibly talented, also a lovely, lovely person, who just happens to have a website full of incredible courses.  I like to think of her as a conduit of art - bringing artists and teachers together via technology.
Alexis, me, Jeanne and Kathy in Mexico - Oct 2013
- four amigos!
If (like me) you've always wanted to learn how to use plaster and wax in your artwork, I encourage you to sign up for this course.  It's available at the early bird price of only US$29 until May 1st only (after that, the price goes up to US$35).  It's a 2 week course that begins on May 19th but the course content will be available for a full year.

Why not join me (and Kathie!) in having fun and learning something new? I know I can't wait to get started, how about you?!

No comments: