Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Getting Happy

I heard this song for the first time about 2 weeks ago and since then, I seem to be hearing it everywhere. I didn't even know the song was nominated for an Academy Award until I saw Pharrell Williams perform it during the opening hour of the Oscars the other night (it didn't win).


My favourite dancer is the little girl with the big blue bow in her hair! The song is from the movie "Despicable Me 2" (which is why there are big, funny looking yellow characters in the above video).

Apparently, people have been making their own versions of the video in different cities around the world - like Barcelona, Munich, Amsterdam, to name a few.  There are several is one is filmed in Paris, one of my favourite cities, and the choreography is really well done.  I especially love the older woman in the red coat, rockin' it with the main dancer, although the 3 French maids in pink wigs and tutus dancing at the Sacre Coeur are pretty awesome too! (the advertising at the beginning is annoying but it's worth, keep watching!)

I'm wondering if the final scenes in the Paris video above were shot on this street, near where we stayed last fall.  If not, I wonder how many similarly colourful streets there are in Paris, I must go looking for them!

There's even one of these videos made in Toronto but as far as I could tell in the few seconds that I watched, it's just one girl dancing around the Eaton Centre (a big shopping mall that doubles as a tourist attraction).  It didn't hold my attention long enough, so maybe there's more to it if you watch longer but (yawn) I just couldn't.  Which means I could get out there and make my own video one of these days, stay tuned!

In the meantime, this is definitely my new go to song when I'm feeling blue, it makes me bounce every time!


No comments: