Wednesday, March 2, 2011

It's March!

I've had this picture saved on my computer at work for a while now.  Sadly, I can't remember where I got it from, so I can't give credit where it is due.  I can only apologize for using this image without permission or acknowledgement and hope that the owner thereof and/or the little girl in the picture will forgive me.  Because I just love it.  I love the expression on her face.  I love trying to decide if she is happy or freaked out that the month of March has arrived.  I fancy it's a little of both.

My friend Kate describes this time as follows:  "people are extra touchy every year at this moment. They are feeling cooped up from a long winter, they are restless, wanting to cut class, clean house, take a lover, cut the grass, go to the ballpark, stay up late on a warm summer night. It’s the first blush of spring fever, and people are weary of their winter burrows."  That description is certainly true for me.  This time of year, I always feel a little antsy, like I want to be doing...something...but I'm not sure what. 

Unfortunately for us up here in the frozen North, we were greeted by the news yesterday that Environment Canada predicts that the next 90 days will be cooler than normal thanks to La Nina.  Talk about being the bearer of bad news.  Why do they have to tell us that?   Why can't we just go along forward into March and April and see how it goes?  Are we not so very tired of winter already, having already endured four whole months of it??? Why pile on the bad news that it's possible that we might have to wait several more months before being able to get out and enjoy warm weather???  Sigh.

Okay, let's face it.  Reality check time.  We know we have to wait for our summer, we live in Canada, for heaven's sake and it's only March.  We might have the occasional warm day to look forward to in the next few weeks but we've still got some winter left to go.  On a chilly day like today with those gusty cold winds whipping around, I'm quite happy to stay cuddled up in my burrow just a little bit longer.  But...I'll be dreaming of spring while I do.

3 comments:

debi said...

Why don't you come out and take a class. You did win the 6 free classes,on my blog. debi

kate mckinnon said...

Yes! Go take a class at Beads of Colour! And hug Debi and Dave for me.

Cynthia of Cynful Creations said...

I am so excited to learn I won the 6 free classes, can't wait!!