Friday, June 4, 2010

Another Weekend, Another Class


Every so often, I tell myself I'm not going to take any more classes for a while. However, whenever I say that to myself, it seems to become an example to prove the expression, "we humans make plans and the gods laugh". Because as soon as I said that this time around, literally just yesterday, after an intense conversation with Anne Marie at the TBS meeting on Wed night about how it's fun to take classes and learn new things but sooner or later, you need to stop taking classes and start putting those new skills to work. Seemed like a reasonable idea at the time.

Except I was already signed up to take a class tonight at a scrapbook store in Thornhill. So after this one, I thought, then I'll stop for a while. And except for the couple of classes I'm already signed up for, one in a few weeks at the Paper Place and a beaded bead class with Marcia DeCoster at Beadfx in July. Other than those, I'd restrain myself for a while. Or so I thought.

My resolve lasted until I was at this class tonight. I was really enjoying it and the teacher. I had signed up for it more than a month ago with my friend Diane and I barely knew what I had signed up for. Diane had read about it online and told me about it and sent me the supply list once I had signed up. I didn't even know the teacher's name until last week when I was at Bizzy B and they told me it was Donna Downey. Didn't really know who that was but I checked out her blog and liked her style so off I went.

I didn't realize until I got there tonight that Donna is in town all this weekend teaching several classes over the next few days. While we were working on tonight's project (more about that tomorrow), I casually asked to see what the sample items looked like for the other classes. Just curious, that's all. Donna held up the various items and then put them down on a table for us to come look at. The one book she didn't describe was the one that caught my eye the most and as I flipped through it, I knew I had to come to that class.

Except that earlier in the evening, the store staff had announced there was only one spot left and another woman in the class quickly spoke up and said she would take that spot. It was one of those moments when I just had a feeling that I should take that last spot, without even knowing at the time what I was signing up for, and I had been just about to open my mouth and say I would, when the other woman beat me to it.

But as soon as I saw the actual book (an art journal), I knew I simply had to take that class, no matter what. I decided I would ask to put my name on a waiting list, in case another spot opened up before Sunday night when the class is scheduled. I spoke to the one of the staff at the end of the evening and she said she'd take down my name just in case, and literally two minutes later, this lovely woman named Anne came up to me and said, "You know, I'm signed up for that class and I'd like to cancel as I live an hour and a half away, so I'd get home late Sunday night and I have to teach early Monday morning and I really don't want to do that. Why don't you take my spot?"

Wow, how serendipitous was that?? I had had a strong feeling that I should take the class and I knew if I put my name on a wait list, I'd get a spot, I just didn't realize it would happen so fast!

So, what the heck. I'm taking another class. I don't know yet why I am meant to be in that class but I feel that I am and I already know I'm going to love it!! Thank you, Anne, for giving up your spot for me, that was so sweet of you.

No comments: