Monday, March 15, 2010

The Ides of March

On this day 2054 years ago, in 44 BC, Julius Caesar was stabbed to death in the Roman Senate.

I am quoting Wikipedia here when I tell you, "According to Plutarch, Caesar was warned by a seer to be on his guard against a great peril on the Ides of March. On his way to the Theatre of Pompey (where he would be assassinated), Caesar saw the seer and joked "Well, the Ides of March have come," to which the seer replied "Ay, they have come, but they are not gone." This meeting is famously dramatized in William Shakespeare's play Julius Caesar, when Caesar is warned to "beware the Ides of March."

So far, although the day is not yet over, I have had no reason to beware this day. In fact, although I have heard others speak of having seen robins already, I was pleased to see my first red-winged blackbird, which is said to be another sign of spring for those of us in the North who are anxiously awaiting the arrival of that season. The forecast for this week is for temperatures in the mid-teens, which a full 10 degrees warmer than usual this time of year. If this is global warming, I'm all in favour!

In my family, this date is memorable for a totally different reason, because it is my brother Craig's birthday. In honour of the occasion, I thought I share with you this photo of he and I together, circa December 1963. It's one of my favourite pictures because I always laugh when I see his tongue sticking out. It looks like I pushed on his stomach and that's what happened, doesn't it?? I love it! Happy Birthday, bro!

(and no making fun of my bangs, I was young and at the mercy of my mother and her scissors! and yes, his hair still sticks up like that sometimes!!)

2 comments:

kate mckinnon said...

Hey, I have bangs just like that!

Sharon said...

Cynthia. How adorable is that? Happy Birthday to your Bro!

Sharon