Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Haliburton School of The Arts

If you're on the mailing list, you probably received your 2010 course calendar a couple of weeks ago. I am and I did, although I have deliberately not looked at it too closely yet as I will be in France and Spain for a month in August/September (only 149 days and counting!) which means I can't be tempted by any of the fabulous week long courses they have on offer this summer, starting in May and running through to about mid-August. However, I will be looking closely at the weekend possibilities, because I should be able to squeeze in a Saturday or two in the first part of the summer, if I'm lucky.

Haliburton is a small town located about 130 km north and a little bit east of Toronto, which translates into about a 2.5 hour drive, in the heart of cottage country. If you need a place to stay while you're taking your course, they have a list of accommodation possibilities.

There are so many possibilities for artists working in all sorts of mediums - glass, paint, metal, paper, fabric, computers and music, to name just a few. They even have courses for kids. You can learn how to carve a totem pole, do Japanese brush painting, quilt, draw, sculpt, design a low maintenance garden, learn how to use iCreate on your Mac laptop - there are literally dozens of possibilities. The teachers are all recognized artists in their own right.

Here's a picture of Terry Craig, one of my instructors, giving a glass-blowing demonstration. This woman, who name I do not know, is taking the blacksmithing course. And the women in the photo up above learned how to belly dance. Do you see what I mean about something for everyone? Plus as you can see from that photo, the windows give you a lovely view of the lush green trees outside - the school is situated in a beautiful setting, surrounded by nature. It's a wonderful way to learn!


Registration started March 1st, so you don't want to wait too long to sign up if there is a course you are interested in, as classes fill up fast.

No comments: