Friday, March 19, 2010

Bag of Beads Reveal - Part 4



As promised, here are some more photos of some of the Bag of Beads creations made by my fellow Toronto Bead Society members. Let's just say, the talent in our membership is unlimited and totally inspiring!!

This beaded fringe masterpiece was made by a new member named Kimberly Lawrence, it's called Cleo's Collar. I believe she said it was from a pattern in a Bead and Button herringbone book, but I could be wrong about that, don't quote me. I was taking notes while everyone spoke about their pieces and what I wrote for Kimberly is that this piece was her 6th try, after #4 got chewed by the cat and several others didn't quite work out the way she wanted and her apartment flooded...I don't know, it seems impossible to believe that this beautiful necklace was the end result of that sort of comedy of errors, doesn't it?! And if you're wondering where the piece of copper pipe is, she said she added it to the collection of copper pots in her grandmother's doll house! She also told me that two of her friends bought her TBS membership for her as a birthday present, isn't that a lovely idea?


This unique creation was submitted by Christina Dufrene. She said finding the right size canvas shoe (size 8) for a reasonable price was the hardest part! She got the idea from a magazine and found it was a lot of space to cover with beads. And no, she's not planning to wear them outside, in case you were wondering. At present, she has only decorated one shoe - I'm not sure if she plans to do the second one or not. Me, I think it would be kind of cool to have one covered in beads and one plain.


This incredible free form style necklace was made by Sue Dolynskyj. I love the ways the colours swirl and merge together. Somehow it makes me think of waves crashing over rocks and the way the water foams around the rocks as the wave pulls back. But that's free form for you, it's sort like ink blots. It's such a skill to create a design like this, if you ask me, not everyone can do it. Some of us are just a little too set in our ways and need a little order, some sort of structure. I apologize for the poor quality of the picture on the right (bad composition, poor lighting), but I really wanted to show the back of this necklace where Sue used the copper pipe piece because I thought that was well done too.


Sue also had a very clever explanation for what she did with the piece of paper we were required to use in the challenge - I'll let you read that for yourself (if you click on the picture, it will open in a separate window and you can read it more easily):

No comments: