Thursday, November 20, 2008

Wired Caged Beads

Luckily, that snow last night didn't amount to anything too substantial and all proceeded as normal this morning, except that I decided to take public transit to work this morning, that's always an adventure all on its own. For example, the doors of the car I was travelling in didn't open when we got to my station, so those of us who wanted to get off had to wait until the next stop - fun times.

But let's get back to talking about beads.

This week in the Bead Crazy class, we learned how to wrap wire cages around beads. It's a really cool look and very forgiving - you don't have to make perfect loops or wrap it a certain way, you just sort of let the wire go where it wants to go. Ideally, the two wires end up on either side of the bead, thus creating the "cage" but we found that sometimes, the wires seemed to want to stay close to each other and that worked too. We learned a similar technique in wire wrapping class a few weeks ago, so I can also do the same sort of thing with objects that don't have a hole in the middle to anchor the wire. I have some marbles that I bought at a couple of flea markets in France this past summer that I'd like to try it out on some day soon.

In the meantime, here's what it looks like with beads:




No comments: