Friday, April 7, 2017

Yorkville Public LIbrary

Social media often identifies this day of the week as "Flashback Friday".  Thought I'd share a step back in time of my own, which occurred when I visited the Yorkville Public Library this past Tuesday.  It was indeed a flashback to earlier times for me, as I used to visit this branch quite often when I first moved to Toronto in the early 80's.

According to this website, it first opened its doors in 1907 and if you look at that older photo compared to mine above, you'll see almost nothing has changed about the building itself.
Stepping through what I assume are the very same solid oak doors the other night, the only obvious change to the interior since whenever I last visited years ago was the addition of the computer screens positioned here and there. 

There is another old and quite lovely building right next door.  Built in 1878, it is one of the city's oldest active fire halls.
As I stood on the sidewalk looking around, the sirens began to wail and the fire trucks pulled out and rushed off to do what they do.
While the exteriors of the library and the fire hall may not have changed much in the past 35 years or so, it was immediately obvious that the neighbourhood itself is currently undergoing a whole lot of change. Old buildings are being torn down to make way for new. 



Such is the fact of life in a city such as this one, both the old and new exist side by side.  You just never know what you will find in any given neighbourhood, what will remain from days gone by and what will be new to discover.

Day 4/100 - #100dayproject




No comments: