Friday, September 23, 2011

Things I Didn't See Either

In a post today, my friend Kate McKinnon blogged about "things I have never seen", describing a nest that she hadn't noticed before today but that has probably been sitting in its current location for several months.

I had a bit of a chuckle to myself when I read this, only because I had a similar experience myself a month or so ago.  In my case, I was stunned, shocked and totally surprised to be driving home along my street one early summer evening when I suddenly noticed that there are several medium-sized trees all along the boulevards that divide my street.  The shocking, scary part? I had absolutely never consciously noticed any of these trees (and there are several) before in the more than two and half years that I have lived here.

Now, some trees on my street are young and quite straggly looking, like this one:

and if that were the case with these trees on the median strip, I could perhaps excuse it to myself.

Alas, this is not the case.  Here are a couple of photos (not taken today, as it has been grey and/or very wet all day today) of the trees I am talking about:


As you can see, they are not newly planted trees, they are medium to large sized, healthy-looking trees with lots of foliage.  I drive past and between them every time I exit or enter my building, which is let's say an average of a dozen times a week.  How could I have never noticed them before?!!

And, as Kate says, it does beg the question, "what else am I missing?!".  Perhaps, in my case, I should be asking, "am I going blind and/or completely losing my marbles???"  Lord knows, some days it feels like that!

No comments: